[lit-ideas] 'toxic' hooey...

On the topic of toxic shame, Irene wrote:

It's the parenting style credited with creating Nazis.

This is 'toxic' hooey. I don't know why everybody lets people get away with this kind of sloppy thinking. Perhaps because its about the Nazis that it doesn't matter. But it does matter. 1. Nazis aren't all of a piece. They got where they got in a hundred different ways.
2. The 'parenting style' isn't all of a piece either. 3. No one knows enough to put the two together and lay 'credit'.
4. There are a thousand variables between the parenting style and the Nazi.
5. What exactly does Nazi mean here? Hitler? Mengele? Rudof Hess? Anyone with a signed card?

We just say Nazi and everyone will understand everything? (with apologies to someone for the sentence -- I'll check tomorrow.)

Ursula
in North Bay