[lit-ideas] this idea of "balance"

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 16:04:57 -0500

John Wager's excellent eye-opening notion of discriminating between "balance" and "fairness" in media has yet to be examined here. If "balance" is a silly idea inherited from equal-time laws, "fairness" certainly isn't.

Who doesn't want to be fair in their opinions? (There are no "Hitlers" listed in the Manhattan phone book by the way.) And if we are content only with reading, listening to, or watching media that we know -- in our heart of hearts -- is partisan propaganda, how can we value our own beliefs?

Those are my principles, as Groucho said, and if you don't like them, I have others.