[lit-ideas] the importance of the funnel

one of teh importantly not well understood tools of logicians is the funnel.

Viz.:

JL wrote
It may be argued that a 'closet' is the Christian equivalent of a
'meditation' room. Apparenlty, American closets were originally built
to close  yourself to mediate (hence 'skeleton out of the closet').

The procedure t produce such conclusions is traditional.
By ingesting british foodstuff have great consitpation for a fortnight.
Insdert the funnel in teh correct positiona and have the expelled materials quickly posted on teh webpages.

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

We were referrring to the 'meditation rooms' mentioned in the link J.
Krueger provided.

They sounded rather obscene to me. I don't need a ROOM to 'mediate'. Note
that the etymology of 'meditate' is totally unrelated to that of 'room'.

--

In a message dated 8/4/2010 5:44:51 P.M., rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes notes  the
idioms involving 'closet', which I argued was the Christian equivalent of

"I'm not sure where the 'hence' comes from. Even if American closets  were
'originally built for Cartesion purposes, the phrase is, surely, '[to  have
a] skeleton in the closet,' which roughly speaking means to have
something unspoken but potentially ruinous or at least embarrassing if
discovered, in one's or one's family's background. Its origin is English.
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/skeleton-in-the-closet.html
Skeletons  don't come out of the closet, but people do.
OED[under entry for  'closet']:   ...skeleton in the closet (or
cupboard): a private or  concealed trouble in one's house or
circumstances, ever present, and ever  liable to come into view: see
SKELETON.    d. to come out of  the closet: to admit (something) openly,
to cease to conceal, esp. one's  homosexuality."

Hear, hear.

This, to confirm, also from the Etymological online:

closet:

"late 14c., from O.Fr. closet "small enclosure, private room," dim. of
clos, from L. clausum "closed space," from neut. pp. of claudere "to shut" (see
close (v.)). In Matt. vi:6 used to render L. cubiculum "bedchamber,
bedroom,"  Gk. tamieion "chamber, inner chamber, secret room;" thus originally
in
English

"a private room for study or prayer;"

modern sense of "small side-room for storage" is first recorded 1610s. The
adjective is from 1680s, "private, secluded;" meaning "secret, unknown"
recorded  from 1952, first of alcoholism, but by 1970s used principally of
homosexuality;  the phrase come out of the closet "admit something openly" first
recorded 1963,  and lent new meanings to the word out."

------

"Mediation rooms" are INDIVIDUAL. With a 13 story proposed building I
assume that at least, let's check,

13 X 4

13
X 4
------
 52

52 meditation rooms -- assuming four per story.
----

In general, people now do think it IS a bad idea, Park51, and incidentally,
"Park51" is a politically correct euphemism. Apparently "Cordoba House" is
semi-officially banned.

Speranza
Bordighera

/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27] 031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91            calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

MY OFFICE IS A290@Mtb

*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or privileged and is
intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any
confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the business
of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify the sender.

  Ratio, enim, nisi judex universalis esse deberet, frustra singulis datur.

  [ _Quaestiones Naturales_, Adelard of Bath ]

Signora granda, testa che massa
massa ne passa, che quasi schissa,
Dia dei sostegni de cese e palassi
Dia de le taje che su ne tien fissi
Dia de le onde che le ne fa grassi,
ne ingrassa de ogni grassia, Dia Venessia -

aàh Venessia aàh Venàssia aàh Venùsia

Andrea Zanzotto, Filò, (Sezione: Recitativo Veneziano)