[lit-ideas] Re: the Iranian "smoking gun"

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 02:07:15 -0500

What dismissed?  It's old news.   As far as normalizing relations, I seem
to remember a lot of scoffing that went on over the letter the Iranians
sent.  The U.S. doesn't even call them a government, they're a regime.
This Iraq situation is getting extremely dangerous.  We need friends now,
and we need them desperately.  We've built al Qaeda into something they
never were, aided and abetted them in a major way.  They now have a secure
base in Iraq and they're growing.  Iran is an enemy of al Qaeda.  The
Sunnis will basically side with al Qaeda region-wide.  Al Qaeda has
infiltrated the Palestinians as well, among just about everybody except
probably here in the U.S.  Hamas had been something of a countersink to
them.  Solving the Palestinian-Israeli crisis is of paramount importance.
Unhappy people will side with al Qaeda, and creating unhappy people is what
we do best, while al Qaeda wins hearts and minds.  It's the old
vinegar/honey thing.  Al Qaeda's strategy was to draw the U.S. into a war
over there, and we did it for them.  They couldn't take us on here, but it
was a cakewalk for them on their turf.   And even after all of that, we're
still rattling our sabers against people who are in a position to help us.