[lit-ideas] Re: speaking of libraries in the United States of Earth

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:33:04 -0400

It's true, we talk a good line.  When the French first gave us the Statue we
didn't want it. Then it grew on us.  Irish need not apply; dirty Wops and so
on.  What distinguishes us is not our compassion but the fact that we have laws
against state sponsored terrorism; pograms for example.  I do agree that
compassionate is demanded from Americans by virtue of the Americans with
Disabilities Act, a good thing.  The change in thinking that that has inspired
has made the PC movement possible.  Changing nomenclature and thinking
eventually filters down to where dissing a population feels wrong and gives
civility a chance to flourish.  I guarantee you, though.  Take off the stoppers
and the compassion will go out the window.

Date:8/9/05 7:30:12 A.M. Central Daylight Time
From:aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent on:

Julie, what gradual loss of compassion for people?  When and where are you
referring to?

Julie Krueger
sad at our gradual loss of compassion for people