[lit-ideas] Re: speaking of libraries in the United States of Earth

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:23:47 -0400

Read the inscription at the base of the Statue of Liberty.

The one that says, "Form Single Line"?

If anyone is contemplating visiting the S of L in summer, forget it. Huge lines that take hours to funnel into the statue and hours to ascend and descend it, all to glimpse an unremarkable view through thick tinted glass.

I've only visited once. Somewhere around the anus of the statue, it occurred to me that I was trapped in a monument to freedom. You can't go back, the line only goes forward, you are at the mercy of the pace of those ahead, and it is hot, very hot inside.

Still trapped in a monument to freedom,
Eric