[lit-ideas] Re: speaking of libraries in the United States of Earth

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 07:01:47 EDT

And one more thought......

Until recently, America has been felt to be a refuge for those who wish
freedom to better their lives.  My Aunt lives in Ellensburg, WA, about an
hour's
drive from Tacoma.  They have hundreds of migrant workers come  through during
apple-picking season.  The workers come because they cannot  feed their
families at home (most are Latin American).  It takes adults  more time to pick
up
a new language than children.  They learn what they  are able.  My cousin, who
also lives there, has spent hours in the hospital  translating between Doctor
and patient.  She married a fellow from Mexico  who is here legally and is
working on a law degree.  He is fluent in both  Spanish and English.  They have
good friends who are a couple who left  Mexico because they could not
adequately support themselves and their aging  parents there.  They are here
illegally
and send money back to their family  from what they make here.  They will
likely not be able to see them in the  foreseeable future.  If they go visit,
they can't get back here to continue  to help the family financially.

These issues tear lives and families apart.  It's not just about whose
pocket is being lined or what society benefits from what.

Julie Krueger
sad at our gradual loss of compassion for people