[lit-ideas] Re: speaking of libraries in the United States of Earth

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 22:56:52 +0100

Monday, August 8, 2005, 12:42:56 AM, Mike Geary wrote:

MG> Yost the Host:
>> You should take a tour of New York City's lovely Bronx. Our "Little
>> Colombia" alone has hundreds of thousands who cannot read English.

MG> So?  I don't understand your problem with that.  Are they demanding you
MG> learn their language?  It's the diversity of population

Re which -- re adverse comments on "multiculturalism", diversity, and
community -- there's a really inane piece in this week's Sunday Times
about the stabbing of a young man on a bus here.  He (white) and his
girlfriend (white) were on the top of a bus, with a lot of other
people including a young black man, who began shouting and throwing
chips (French fries) at people. Everyone except him and the young
couple moved downstairs.  He -- it seems -- began insulting the young
woman, her boyfriend intervened, there was some kind of fight, he
stabbed the boyfriend. The young woman screamed for help through all
this.  Then the black man went downstairs and got off the bus; the
young woman did the same; the man who'd been stabbed went down too,
collapsed on the lower deck, bleeding.

Till then no-one intervened.  And then, only one person was prepared to help
him, eventually, a white woman who insists on remaining anonymous. Two
refused, one because the blood would wreck her clothes. Two young women finally
helped.  The other people left the bus.

The bizarre thing is, the Comment writer blames this -- the failure to
help -- on "diversity", looking back to Ye Olde Englishe Days when
(ha!) everybody helped.  I think she feels she has to mention a black
death too so she says

>Remember the heartless, hellish estate in south London where poor
>Damilola Taylor was stabbed to death in a kind of multicultural bedlam.

well no. I remember the death of a black boy in a sink estate, where -- the
police say -- a gang culture hampered their investigations into what
they remain convinced was murder. (Their main witness was dodgy and
the people they charged got off.)  After the attack he staggered sokem
yards and up some stairs.  A man who happened to go up those stairs
found him, tried to help him, called the police; a policeman tried to
save him. *No bystander who did not help exists*.  The dodgy witness,
a thirteen year old girl, did not see the stabbing.

So much for Comment writers who slag off diversity.

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx