[lit-ideas] Re: speaking of libraries in the United States of Earth

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 12:14:16 -0500

>>  It's also difficult because Southern Missouri has a number of legal folk
>> whose jobs have been taken away by the rise in these plants hiring illegal
>> immigrants (even though there does seem to be a 'racket' going on whereby
>> the plant management assists in the creation of illegal 'legal'
>> documentation...so unemployment in that area is simply horrible for the
>> people whose families have been there from about the time the homesteading
>> act came into play...  The illegal immigrants working in those factories,
>> though, do not get paid what they ought to be paid--the conditions and
>> safety issues are simply awful (you would not eat Tyson chicken if you kne
>> w...<g>) and, Eric is correct-the big corporate boys are simply raking in
>> the profit. (the cheaper prices have NOT been passed down to the
>> consumer--chicken prices have also skyrocketed since NAFTA...) <<

and

>> In the KC area, though, Eric is correct--the companies who are hiring
>> illegal immigrants are doing so in order to NOT pay living wages...and they
>> are NOT passing the savings onto the consumer.  And, many of them who get
>> caught have been put in horrible situations, both work and living. (I have a
>> friend who is a Union guy who talks about some of this--it's a hard thing in
>> the KC area as unions are NOT popular ... <<

Yes -- exactly, and why isn't anyone screaming to throw these SOBs in jail --
never mind, I know why.  We all know why.

>> In a way, though, I find it a rather intriguing dilemma--for if illegal
>> immigration is 'okay' (as I seem to be hearing you say it is...for a variety
>> of reasons), <<

I never said illegal immigration is "okay" -- I'm saying that attacking the
immigrants is just kicking a man when he's down, a cheap way to feel good and
patriotic about yourself.  If you really want to stop illegal immigration throw
the business owners in jail who hire them.

>> then the folk who pushed the Native Americans out were 'okay' to do that,
>> too. <<

I'm sorry, I don't follow this at all.  Or you equating a man doing back
breaking work for very low wages with what our great grandfathers did to the
Indians?

I wish it believed that Unions were the answer.  But 30 years ago companies
starting leaving the Midwest and Northeast to build plants in the South and
West where unions were almost nonexistent -- it was cheaper to move than pay
decent wages.  Now they're leaving the South for Mexico, China, India --
wherever, it's cheaper.  And as soon as another country offers tax breaks,
they'll up and move again.  It's the global economy.  Who knows, most of us
might become wetbacks in Mexico in a few years, anything to keep body and soul
together.  I can't wait until they curse us for sponging off their system and
not even speaking the language.

Mike Geary