[lit-ideas] Re: sorry about the lack of a subject line Re: (no subject)

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 20:17:56 +0000 (GMT)

> No one rapages (too strong a word?) about that exactly for
> the reasons you
> state.  Namely, that it was in the Middle Ages and
> those practices have now
> been superceded by secular laws.  We can hardly undo
> those practices but we
> can and want to protect young children now.  There is
> an overwhelming
> consensus about this in Western countries.

(Only in Western countries?)  Yes.  But some feel able to call Mohammed a
paedophile with deliberate inflammatory intent and as though that somehow
indicted "Islam", while ignoring the history of child marriage and its
acceptance or indeed furtherance by "Western" churches. (In the US, churches
did not pledge to obey secular age-of-marriage law till 2008.)

> Regarding taking girls back to the home country for
> marriage and
> circumcision, the Canadian government was discussing
> arresting any parent
> whose child turns up at a health clinic and the parents are
> then seen to
> have violated Canadian law.  I don't know if it
> passed.  Perhaps our

I didn't query the point about circumscision, I said the point about marriage
seemed strange.

> I highly recommend that people on this list see a film
> called, "Osama."

the life of a girl living under the Taliban. Look, I think I know.  I was
unhappy when the Soviet Union left Afghanistan, to be honest.

> Re Muslim marriages, one of my friends married her husband
> in a mosque with
> the imam officiating.  The state of MI knew nothing
> about it.  No state
> required license was applied for.  But when she wanted
> a divorce, she could
> only get it if the husband consented.

(I think we've discussed this before.) Then they were not married -- unless
your law differs greatly from ours. But I agree they were married in Muslim
eyes so not being able to get a divorce is a problem (by the way, a Muslim
woman can obtain a divorce without a husband's consent -- but yes the rules are
one-sided; in the UK, they've been made less so, a man cannot simply pronounce
the marriage over).

As I think I said when this came up before -- re sharia tribunals in the UK --
problems will occur unless all religious marriages etc. are banned and even
then, there will be problems.....

> My other friends, a married couple, took their daughter to
> Syria to marry
> her cousin.  But that was OK because she was in her
> 20s.  The point of this
> is to keep perman

a young woman I know here was taken by her father -- whom I know -- to Pakistan
to marry a cousin.  That is, the wedding took place there; they all live here.
(Her mother was dead; she died young, suddenly.  He was griefstricken.)  I am
sure it was a marriage by consent.

But I thought you might have cases of children taken abroad and married, that
was what you said caused concern in the US and Canada.

> As concerns the issue of giving a 7-9 year old girl to a
> grown man on his
> word that there would be no consumation until 14-15, I
> would like to see the
> Western parent that would do that today.  To say
> nothing of the fact that it
> would be considered child abuse.

(funny you should say that: child abuse is what I've heard Western Muslims call
it.  Presumably the Saudi imam who issued a fatwa against child marriage also
thinks that. )

-- and this has *what* to do with Baroness Warsi's comments on prejudice and
discrimination against British Muslims?