[lit-ideas] Re: someone help

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 13:54:06 -0400

Ursula quotes a Web site: Art and the moral imagination? Art /is/ the moral imagination.

When I was younger I used to side with John Gardner in his _On Moral Fiction_ that art is essentially a moral force. There are so many partisans of that view, great writers like Tolstoy, etc.

Is the imagination essentially moral?

Lately I tend to regard the imagination as trans-moral or amoral. The direction of imagination is essentially wider than any particular moral vector. As easily as it shows the triumph of character, imagination shows us the death of beauty, the Byzantium we can't maintain here.

Art can inspire us with beauty. I mean we can try to live beautiful lives, a'la Nietzsche and Henry James. Or like Proust's character in _The Captive_, Bergotte, we can die from beauty. But beauty, like moral force, are things subsumed by the imagination (Bergotte's death for example being just a small incident in a larger work of the imagination) and not even necessary for it.

Is the imagination moral? Does the artistic imagination have to be moral?