[lit-ideas] response from the Wilderness Society

  • From: eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:25:24 -0500

Hi Marlena,

HI,
This is kind of not-relevant now that (thankfully) LH stated that based on my
Missouri--but thought I'd share it anyway.

(I am very concerned about this matter--anyone who thinks that our environment
has been made better by the current administration needs to go sit and think in
the wilderness for a while. I watched a Nature program last night about the
different problems people are having with wildlife as it is being squeezed
outward from land because of our sprawling world...and that is so true here in
Missouri--and it was not even one of the states featured.

Anyway, this is the response from the Communications Director of the Wilderness
Society.

Jerry Conley whom she mentions as a former director of the Conservation
Department of the State of Missouri is and was an awesome person to have as
director. My parents used to set aside a section of their farm for research to
be done by people involved in the department and I know had incredible respect
for him.

Here is what she said (I didn't include where the points being asked came
from-just mentioned it was from a listserv that I was on which was talking
about it...)

It's hard to think that this is going to happen.  So much is happening right
now in regards to so many policy issues that are going to affect our future and
that of our children's children...

Best,
Marlena

Thank your interest in these misguided land sale proposals. My response to the
gentleman?s point would be as follows:

1)       <![endif]>We have so little publicly-owned land left in Missouri that
protecting any and all of what we have is important.
2)       <![endif]>These so-called small, isolated tracts of land are often the
most valuable ? either for wildlife habitat, watershed protection, or because
of their proximity to private development.
3)       <![endif]>These areas are also vital to hunters and anglers -- many
times they provide the gateways to larger tracts of valuable lands and if these
smaller tracts of sold, huge parcels of land will be affected.
4)       <![endif]>Lastly, the FS is saying that these are small isolated
tracts and their initial disclosures certainly make them appear to be small,
but what we?ve been finding is that when you piece all of the small tracts of
land together, they are next to one another and are, in fact, large areas.

Please take a look at our website for additional information, there is a link
from our main page with more information on these land sales,
www.wilderness.org. I?ve also cc?d Jerry Conley, former Director of
Conservation in Missouri who may be able to provide you with additional
information. Maps of the affected areas are also due out on the FS website
tomorrow, so you may want to look there for additional information as well:
http://www.fs.fed.us/

Lastly, if you need additional information, please don?t hesitate to contact me
again either by phone (202-429-2692) or email.

Nicole Anzia