[lit-ideas] reading is fun and mental

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 14:58:40 -0500

AC: I have to say I admire the stuff you read. Paul Stone seems to read a lot
of interesting books too.

I just finished a REALLY interesting book. It's called "the end of faith" by Sam Harris, 2004. Hoellebecq got in trouble for condemning Islam as "the stupidest religion", well Mr. Harris says what I think about not only Islam but every other 'religion' and how completely irrational they are. I recommend this book to people of faith as well as those who are already converted. It will at LEAST make you question your faith. You might still come through the other side in tact -- probably will if you are really faithful -- but you might actually understand a little more about why some of us think you're nuts.;-)

Robert Paul is reading Seymour Hersh's book on 9/11. Many of the posters on this list seem to read. Much more so than in
the outside world.

I have a co-op high school student {17 y/o} working for me right now and he told me that his highschool offers 'special awards' to someone if they read a book. The process is this: the student reads the book, tells the teacher, the teacher reads the book, or finds someone who HAS read it and then they quiz the student to see whether he/she REALLY read the book. If they are convinced, the student gets a special reward. My student didn't tell me what that reward was and he, as a reader, thought the whole process rather peculiar, but apparently, it's getting the job done and a lot of people are reading who wouldn't. It's kind of sad really.

glad I'm done shopping,

_________________ [insert pithy quote here] Paul Stone pas@xxxxxxxx Leamington, ON. Canada