[lit-ideas] p.s. Re: Re: Globalization

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:49:39 EST

A friend of mine from India several years back counseled me to learn Hindi
if I were to choose any of the Indian languages.  I don't know if her  advice
would have changed by now.  I need to take a look at the UMC  University's
course offerings and see if any Chinese or Indian language/dialect  is offered.

I'm curious now.  Everyone but me, I believe, on this  list, is a full-fledged
academician ...  are any of these languages offered  at your institutions?
Which ones?

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Globalization
Date: 2/25/06 7:33:12 A.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Somehow I'm starting to think that  getting my kids into language classes
in
> > Chinese and Indian might  be more pragmatic than Arabic...

Don't want to make a great fuss about  this, but there is no "Indian"
to be learned. There is, instead, a choice  of

Kannada
Hindi
Gujarati
Marathi
Konkani
Bengali
Oriya
Kashmiri
Assamese
Nissi/Daffia
Ao
Manipuri
Khasi  & Garo
Tamil
Malayalam
Punjabi
Telegu
Mizo

*Source:  http://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/india/indianlanguages.htm

In a country  with so much regional variation, where in several cases
state boundaries have  been drawn on linguistic lines, it is but
inevitable that fifteen national  languages are recognized by the
Indian constitution. These are spoken in over  1600 dialects.

While India's official language is Hindi in the Devnagri  script,
English continues to be the official working language. Most  Indians
living in urban and semi-urban towns are multi-lingual. For many  in
the metro cities of India, English is virtually their first  language,
and for many more, it is the second language. Sanskrit, one of  the
oldest languages of the world, is the language in which the  great
Indian epics and classical literature have been written.

Source:  http://www.indiatravelogue.com/pass/pass7.html

About 80 percent of all  Indians--nearly 750 million people based on
1995 population estimates--speak  one of the Indo-Aryan group of
languages. Persian and the languages of  Afghanistan are close
relatives, belonging, like the Indo-Aryan languages, to  the
Indo-Iranian branch of the Indo-European family. Brought into  India
from the northwest during the second millennium B.C., the  Indo-Aryan
tongues spread throughout the north, gradually displacing the  earlier
languages of the area.

Modern linguistic knowledge of this  process of assimilation comes
through the Sanskrit language employed in the  sacred literature known
as the Vedas (see The Vedas and Polytheism, ch. 3).  Over a period of
centuries, Indo-Aryan languages came to predominate in the  northern
and central portions of South Asia (see Antecedents, ch.  1).

As Indo-Aryan speakers spread across northern and central India,  their
languages experienced constant change and development. By about  500
B.C., Prakrits, or "common" forms of speech, were  widespread
throughout the north. By about the same time, the  "sacred,"
"polished," or "pure" tongue--Sanskrit--used in religious rites  had
also developed along independent lines, changing significantly  from
the form used in the Vedas. However, its use in ritual  settings
encouraged the retention of archaic forms lost in the  Prakrits.
Concerns for the purity and correctness of Sanskrit gave rise to  an
elaborate science of grammar and phonetics and an alphabetical  system
seen by some scholars as superior to the Roman system. By the  fourth
century B.C., these trends had culminated in the work of Panini,  whose
Sanskrit grammar, the Ashtadhyayi (Eight Chapters), set the basic  form
of Sanskrit for subsequent generations. Panini's work is  often
compared to Euclid's as an intellectual feat of  systematization.

The Prakrits continued to evolve through everyday use.  One of these
dialects was Pali, which was spoken in the western portion  of
peninsular India. Pali became the language of Theravada  Buddhism;
eventually it came to be identified exclusively with  religious
contexts. By around A.D. 500, the Prakrits had changed further  into
Apabhramshas, or the "decayed" speech; it is from these dialects  that
the contemporary Indo-Aryan languages of South Asia developed.  The
rudiments of modern Indo-Aryan vernaculars were in place by about  A.D.
1000 to 1300.

It would be misleading, however, to call Sanskrit a  dead language
because for many centuries huge numbers of works in all genres  and on
all subjects continued to be written in Sanskrit. Original works  are
still written in it, although in much smaller numbers than  formerly.
Many students still learn Sanskrit as a second or third  language,
classical music concerts regularly feature Sanskrit  vocal
compositions, and there are even television programs  conducted
entirely in Sanskrit.

Around 18 percent of the Indian  populace (about 169 million people in
1995) speak Dravidian languages. Most  Dravidian speakers reside in
South India, where Indo-Aryan influence was less  extensive than in the
north. Only a few isolated groups of Dravidian  speakers, such as the
Gonds in Madhya Pradesh and Orissa, and the Kurukhs in  Madhya Pradesh
and Bihar, remain in the north as representatives of the  Dravidian
speakers who presumably once dominated much more of South Asia.  (The
only other significant population of Dravidian speakers are  the
Brahuis in Pakistan.)

The oldest documented Dravidian language is  Tamil, with a substantial
body of literature, particularly the Cankam poetry,  going back to the
first century A.D. Kannada and Telugu developed extensive  bodies of
literature after the sixth century, while Malayalam split from  Tamil
as a literary language by the twelfth century. In spite of  the
profound influence of the Sanskrit language and Sanskritic culture  on
the Dravidian languages, a strong consciousness of the distinctness  of
Dravidian languages from Sanskrit remained. All four major  Dravidian
languages had consciously differentiated styles varying in the  amount
of Sanskrit they contained. In the twentieth century, as part of  an
anti-Brahman movement in Tamil Nadu, a strong movement arose  to
"purify" Tamil of its Sanskrit elements, with mixed success. The  other
three Dravidian languages were not much affected by this  trend.

There are smaller groups, mostly tribal peoples, who  speak
Sino-Tibetan and Austroasiatic languages. Sino-Tibetan speakers  live
along the Himalayan fringe from Jammu and Kashmir to eastern  Assam
(see fig. 9). They comprise about 1.3 percent, or 12 million,  of
India's 1995 population. The Austroasiatic languages, composed of  the
Munda tongues and others thought to be related to them, are spoken  by
groups of tribal peoples from West Bengal through Bihar and Orissa  and
into Madhya Pradesh. These groups make up approximately 0.7  percent
(about 6.5 million people) of the population.

Despite the  extensive linguistic diversity in India, many scholars
treat South Asia as a  single linguistic area because the various
language families share a number  of features not found together
outside South Asia. Languages entering South  Asia were "Indianized."
Scholars cite the presence of retroflex consonants,  characteristic
structures in verb formations, and a significant amount of  vocabulary
in Sanskrit with Dravidian or Austroasiatic origin as indications  of
mutual borrowing, influences, and counterinfluences.  Retroflex
consonants, for example, which are formed with the tongue curled  back
to the hard palate, appear to have been incorporated into Sanskrit  and
other Indo-Aryan languages through the medium of borrowed  Dravidian
words.

Source:  http://countrystudies.us/india/64.htm

"Chinese" is more plausible, since  the Beijing dialect of Mandarin,
the Chinese language spoken in various  dialects in the northern and
western two-thirds of the country has been  designated as "Guoyu," the
"national language" and made the basis of all  state-sponsored formal
education. In the southern part of the country,  roughly everything
south of the Yangtse, there are distinct languages  divided by
linguists into Wu, Northern and Southern Min, Tiochew,  Cantonese,
Hakka....I'm sure I have missed some. Cantonese and Hokkien  (the
variety of Southern Min I learned to speak in Taiwan) bear the  same
sort of relation to Mandarin as Romanian to French or  Spanish.

Just thought you ought to know.

John
--
John  McCreery