[lit-ideas] Re: olympics

  • From: dsavory@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 08:49:15 -0800

Quoting JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx:

> Would someone please explain what the hell curling is?
>
> I see brooms.
>
> This does not look like a sport.
>
> I have never been awarded a medal for my cleaned floors.

It qualifies as a sport on the basis of its evolution from a military exercise
to an abstracted kinesthetic competition. Consider the shooting and skiing in
the biathlon. Don't get me started on the two man luge. Generals Wolfe and
Montcalm fought each other by sliding flaming rocks along the Plains of
Abraham. Paul Stone will back me up on the this.

David Savory
Vancouver