[lit-ideas] Re: (no subject)

As I understand it, Islam allows "marriage" at any age, but forbids
consummation of the marriage until the female has reached "maturity" which
is defined as menstruating -- usually age 12 - 14.  These were strictures
promulgated by Mohammed himself who married Aisha when she was 7 (he was
about 51 -- no problem there) but he consummated the marriage two years
later, when she was 9 -- a no-no according to his own preachings).  But
what's the use in being a prophet if you can't bend your own rules?  A far
as I know the Catholic Church has followed similar laws, especially among
the nobility where arranged marriages were the custom.

When I was living in Seattle, there was a "scandal" involving a female high
school teacher having an affair with a 13 year old male student.  The
teacher Mary Kay Letourneau was charged with statutory rape.  I was, shall
we say, "conflicted" over the law here.  I fully support the arguments of
abuse of power in these cases, but I couldn't help thinking how much I would
love to have been banging a teacher in high school.  I'd have given my right
testicle for that badge of honor.  After all, I was trying my best to
convince my girlfriend that we should be doing the nasty.  It wasn't like it
would be against my will.  Male teachers lasciviating over female students
is another matter altogether (maybe only because I don't want the
competition).   Mary Kay was sentenced to 6 months of jail time and 3 years
of treatment for 2nd degree child rape.  But 2 weeks after being released
from jail she was caught having relations with the same boy again and was
sentenced to  7 years in prison.  She had his child while in prison.  She
should have named him Sixes And Sevens.

I acknowledge that I'm guilty of a double standard, but I think it should
not be illegal for women to rape men.

Mike Geary
Memphis

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 6:29 AM, Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx