(no subject)

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 12:29:58 +0000 (GMT)

I forgot

I recently finished a book called, "Why I Am Not A Muslim."
 Among the things I learned: that people who call the prophet
a pedophile do so because he married
a nine year old girl,

Yes.  I don't know how common that was in the sixth/seventh centuries, I did
finally remember there were child marriages (marriages of children aged 7 to
12/14 -- in England in the Middle Ages, and, presumably, before that too. (7
because the church refused to recognise/allow marriages below the age of 7
except where interests of state were involved).  We have no idea how widespread
the practice was, as records are faulty.

Yet nobody goes rampaging around yelling "paedophile" about all of that.

(I add that paedophilia was not necessarily involved in dynastic child marriage
or indeed in non-dynastic arranged marriages.)

Currently, there is a concern in Western countries that some Muslims are taking
daughters to the home country for circumcision and early marriage.  I have read
about this issue being of concern in the U.S. and Canada

this puzzled me slightly - the early marriage part, that is.  I'd have thought
the US and Canada would, like the UK, recognise only legally contracted
marriages.  The main relevant "home countries" have minimum marriage ages
similar to ours.  Saudi Arabia has no minimum marriage age but then, I take it
a Saudi child marriage contracted there would not be accepted here.  (The Yemen
also I think must have no minimum age.)