[lit-ideas] Re: more cell phone spottings

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:06:17 EST

<<This  thread is curiouser and curious.

1. Did you miss the 'phone before you  had one?>>

I missed not having a  walk-about phone.  I remember thinking how cool it
would be if someone  figured out a way to make a phone that didn't have to be
latched to the wall  with the cord.

<<2. Do you have electric cans in America now?>>

Okay, okay -- "electric can-opener" --

Julie Krueger
apparently not paying enough attention to hyphens.

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: more cell phone
spottings  Date: 11/22/05 5:57:26 AM Central Standard Time  From:
_torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxxx (mailto:torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>  quoted

> JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx [who] wrote:
>
> > When  I was a kid (sometime before the dinosaurs
> reigned) not only did we
> > not have cell phones,  we did not have cordless
>  phones.  We had two
> > phones in the house, both corded and  immovable;
> one in the kitchen and
> > one in a bedroom.   Remember the days of "party
> lines"?  Yes, we were on
> >  one.  Frequently when lifting the phone to place a
> call we would  find
> > ourselves privvy to a conversation  not meant  for
> our ears, rather than
> > a dialtone.
>
>  Dialtone? Dialtones didn't reach us until dial
> phones didâand that was
> some time in the 1950s. When I was growing up, one
> lifted the  receiver,
> the operator's voice said, 'Number, please,'
>  whereupon one recited the
> number one wanted to reach and waited for  the
> operator to make the
> connection. I think for a time our  number was 122J.
>
> Maybe cell phones will go the way of the  electric
> can opener.

This thread is curiouser and curious.

1. Did you miss the 'phone before you had one?

2. Do you have  electric cans in America now?

Now I don't understand  nothing.

-tor
(remains of  noway=)

torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx