[lit-ideas] Re: more cell phone spottings

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:56:11 EST

<<If we  use cell phones to communicate too much...why? What does
that say about us?  Are we becoming increasingly insecure,
unwilling to live life alone, in need  of some kind of reassurance
that cell phones offer? Or is it nothing more  complicated than
that we have paid a lot for our new toy and we want to use  it?>>
Ah.  Cell phones and  courtesy.
When I was a kid (sometime before the  dinosaurs reigned) not only did we not
have cell phones,  we did not have  cordless phones.  We had two phones in
the house, both corded and  immovable; one in the kitchen and one in a bedroom.

Remember the days of  "party lines"?  Yes, we were on one.  Frequently when
lifting the  phone to place a call we would find ourselves privvy to a
conversation  not  meant for our ears, rather than a dialtone.
My Mother had a "friend" (well,  acquaintance who latched onto her for her
patience-factor) from Church --  Norma.  I still remember her name.  Norma was
clinically diagonsed  hypochondriac.  And I'm sure there were multiple more
neuroses at  play.  In any event, Norma used to call Mom on a daily basis to
tell her  all the details of her latest disease, a litany of symptoms, and how
the Doctors  wouldn't believe her or didn't pay attention or didn't know what
to do to help  her.  These  "conversations" (largely one-sided) lasted 2 - 3
hours.  Mom was too tender-hearted to simply hang up.  It wasn't  polite, you
know.  And every time she tried to excuse herself the response  was something
like "Okay.  Bye, Oh, by the way...." and she was off and  running again.  The
most truly frustrating thing about this is that the  only way Mom could hold
the reciever up to her ear was by either standing next  to the phone table or
sitting in the chair pulled up to it.  Essentially  chained to a couple square
feet of space.
She would have killed for a cell  phone.

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: more cell phone
spottings  Date: 11/21/05 11:21:19 AM Central Standard Time  From:
_mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Teemu described a lecturer who said, "We  communicate too much as
it is, so it isn't really helpful... Excuse me, I  have to take
this. (...) See what I mean?"