[lit-ideas] Re: moral high ground

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:33:23 EST

If you read the entire article I sent about the Abu Grahib abuses, you  would
have seen this:

<<"Looking at the documents we've received under FOIA, it is very  clear to
us that the actions of these soldiers were part of a larger program to  abuse
detainees that was put in place by high-ranking officials," the ACLU's  Singh
told "Dateline."

But high-ranking officials involved appear instead to have been "exonerated
and promoted," she said.>>
I think that pretty much speaks for itself re. synechdoche.
Julie  Krueger
========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: moral high ground
Date: 2/15/06 12:17:53 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Propagandists can apparently convince people that a  synecdoche is in play in
such matters, that the part stands for the whole, that  the actions of
misbehaving or criminal soldiers is proof that an entire military force
condones
such action even when it punishes the action in question.
The Reichstadt Fire was that same sort of argument: the  part standing for
the whole.  A Jew set fire to the Reichstadt building;  therefore all Jews are
to be condemned.  Yes, I know a Jew didnât really  set that fire, but that
doesn
ât matter to the propagandists or those who embrace  the propaganda.  Notice
that Irene continues to excoriate the U.S. military  despite the fact that the
crime that set her off was perpetrated by British  soldiers.
Lawrence