[lit-ideas] Re: making illegal legal and Mexican protests

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 11:05:46 -0700

Joseph,

What state do you live in?  I live in Southern California and haven't found
what you describe to be true here.  Of course I haven't anything to do with
migrant farmers.  I don't know what sorts of rules prevail there, but our
fast-food places are integrated - the ones I've frequented at least.
Although we have Chinese restaurants run by Chinese.  Also, I haven't
experienced any Hispanic racism.  I know La Raza exists, but I haven't seen
any of it and suspect it is not extremely popular among the people coming
here.

When I was a kid, raking leaves and mowing lawns was good work.  This was
back in the 40s so we made a lot less than 75 cents an hour - more like a
dollar for the whole job however long it took - and it better be good or we
wouldn't get the dollar.  I now pay my gardener $50 a week to take care of
nothing but the lawns.  He has a Hispanic name but speaks flawless English,
has a good sense of humor and seems to be about 26.  He drives a brand-new
truck and has all the latest mowing equipment.  He is fast and reliable.

I have a Caucasian cleaning lady come in once a week.  She comes with a team
of two or three, usually Hispanics and they take less than an hour to clean
the house.  I pay her $75 a week.  I don't know what she pays her team.
They have a route and go from house to house in the course of the week. They
always seem friendly and happy whenever I leave my study while they are
here.

Lawrence Helm

San Jacinto, CA

  _____