[lit-ideas] Re: lit-ideas Digest V1 #129

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:40:58 EST

_Apologetics research  resources on religious cults and sects - Pensacola
Outpouring, Pentecostalism,  Post-Modernism, Etc._
(http://www.apologeticsindex.org/p00.html)

<<Prosperity Teaching
_Aberrant_ (http://www.apologeticsindex.org/a26.html)  doctrine, largely
promoted by the _Word-Faith_ (http://www.apologeticsindex.org/w00.html#wordf)
movement.  Here's how it is sold: God wants you to be rich, but He can not
bless
you unless  you first send money (a.k.a. "seed-faith offering") to whichever
televangelist  or teacher tells you about this scheme. Perfected by _Oral
Roberts_ (http://www.apologeticsindex.org/r00.html#roberts) ,  Kenneth
Copeland,
the _Universal Church of the Kingdom  of God_
(http://www.apologeticsindex.org/i04.html) , et al. >>

The notion derives largely from the promise of the tithe --  if you give God
10% of your income He will reward you ten-fold.  TV  Evangelists particularly
used this to get sick poor little old women to donate  to their cause.  Oral
Roberts you surely know of -- his giant Praying Hands  entrance to his musem
which, though he was still alive when he built it (I have  no idea if he's
alive
now or not) has the entire front room devoted to his life;  the super-high
towering hospital where the patients could be as close to God as  possible
while
being treated (Babel 2); his promises of prosperity to anyone who  would
donate.  Trickle down effect was, in Churches, if you didn't display  signs of
wealth you obviously weren't a God-honoring Christian.  These  preachers didn't
try to reconcile scriptures (e.g. prosperity & eye of the  needle) with one
another.  They were consummate professionals at ripping a  verse out of context
and making it mean anything that would serve their  purposes.  Unfortunately
the "faith trumphs all" thing in the Pentecostal  movement caused questioning,
examining, thinking (aka "doubting") to be a sin,  so people swallowed whole
anything fed them, in their righteousness.   Critical thinking was a sin.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========
Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: lit-ideas Digest V1 #129  Date: 11/14/04 9:29:36 PM
Central Standard Time  From: _aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
  To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) ,
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
Sorry, I've been preoccupied, just saw this.   No, I haven't heard the
prosperity sermons.  I'm really curious how they  rationalize this.  I'll guess
that
God bestows success on them because they  deserve it, the old Puritan
settlers in America line.  Am I close?  It  still doesn't explain this line
about the
camel.

Andy