[lit-ideas] Re: lit-ideas Digest V1 #129

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:13:43 -0600

Ritchie:
> Two editors of the "Economist" were interviewed yesterday about a book
> they
> have written called something like "Right America" or
> "Americans turn right and cut corners" or something of that ilk.

The journalists, John Micklethwait and Adrian Wooldridge, appeared on NPR's
"Fresh Air" with the wonderful Terry Gross.  The name of their book is _The
Right Nation: Conservative Power in America_.

Their perspective on conservatism in America is that there are 3 branches of
conservatism (1) the libertarian tax cutters and gun owners, (2) the social
conservatives and Christian moralists, (3) the militaristic nationalists.
They claim that all conservatives tend to be militaristic nationalists, but
that there is a divide between the libertarians and the social
conservatives.  Reagan and Bush have managed to hold the two together,
though if that coalition might well be challenged as the social
conservatives begin to demand pay-back.  Bush, they say, has promised to use
the government to impose conservative values.  No abortion, no stem-cell
research, no gay marriage, use of government programs to spread of "family
values" -- e.g., abstinence only sex-education,  no aid to UN population
programs --  a break-down of the wall between church and state, etc.

This latter bit is the fascist bit.  The social conservatives want to make
America their God's country.  It's a real danger, I believe.
GREENVILLE, S.C. - Bob Jones III, president of the fundamentalist college
that bears his name, has told President Bush he should use his electoral
mandate to appoint conservative judges and approve legislation "defined by
biblical norm."

"In your re-election, God has graciously granted America - though she
doesn't deserve it - a reprieve from the agenda of paganism," Jones wrote
Bush in a congratulatory letter posted on the university's Web site.

"You have been given a mandate. ... Put your agenda on the front burner and
let it boil. You owe the liberals nothing. They despise you because they
despise your Christ," said the letter, dated Nov. 3.

The "Fresh Air" program can be heard at:
http://freshair.npr.org/day_fa.jhtml?display=day&todayDate=11/11/2004

Mike Geary
Memphis