[lit-ideas] Re: lit-ideas Digest V1 #129

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 09:16:20 EST

<<Their
point was that it doesn't do to demonize the opposition,  by which they meant
Conservative Evangelicals.>>
At one of my other e-mail addresses I  have an e-mail with the subject
"Evangelical Christianity is being  high-jacked".  I haven't read it yet.  I
can
guess well enough what it  says.  And there is probably some merit to that
notion.  Just as there  is some merit to the notion they borrowed from, that
Islam
has been  high-jacked.  No, demonizing doesn't help.  But how do you  counter?
My Mother, who is a self-avowed Evangelical said something  interesting to me
the other day.  She said she always considered herself a  fundamentalist, and
thought of it as a good thing.  She now thinks of  fundamentalism as a
negative and doesn't know how or why that shifted.  She  now would be ashamed
to be
referred to as a fundamentalist.  It used to  mean, to her, a level of
fidelity.  A mark of strong adherence to a faith,  following what is right even
when
it is unpopular.  Now it is a mark of  shame, indicating quiescent approval of
all kinds of harm.  She is appalled  by the people she is accustomed to
worshipping with who think a vote for Bush  equated a vote for God.
Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: lit-ideas Digest
V1 #129  Date: 11/13/04 12:43:58 AM Central Standard Time  From:
_ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
on 11/12/04 3:23 AM, Peter Mackenzie  at
Peter.Mackenzie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Quite a few of them seem to have guns, too.

Two  editors of the "Economist" were interviewed yesterday about a book they
have  written called something like "Right America" or
"Americans turn right and  cut corners" or something of that ilk.  Their
point was that it doesn't  do to demonize the opposition, by which they meant
Conservative  Evangelicals.  They observed that the opposition is well
organized and  knows what it wants, and therefore, and therefore...that's the
bit, while  driving, I didn't take in.

It seems to me, a mere and deportable alien,  that if a party comes to power
that looks fascist and acts in ways that  remind one of fascism, the proper
thing to do is to give them five or ten  minutes to prove that they are
merely bumbling Reaganites.  After that,  all bets are off.  One ponders, and
one looks carefully at all peaceful  options.

How's the west of Scotland look?

David  Ritchie
Portland,  Oregon