[lit-ideas] Re: [lit-id] The Poverty of Heritage

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 02:23:26 +0100

JK>So, as it has seemed to me for a few years now, the so-called "Middle Class"
in America is rapidly JK>disappearing, leading to a country of vastly rich and
vastly poor

Yes.  Well, that was happening: you were the country with a "diamond-shaped"
profile, a massive middle class, then the middle class began sinking.

It's a long time since I taught this stuff and I'd stopped before the slide of
the middle
class, but I'll check it out and try to answer properly tomorrow (hoping someone
else comments meanwhile!)

Judy Evans, Cardiff