[lit-ideas] Re: [lit-id] The Poverty of Heritage

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 02:20:24 +0100

LH>But the evidence doesn't agree with your assertions.
LH> Statistics don't support your prejudices.

You've given no statistics that support your prejudices.  You've quoted a
statement that
your "poor" (who are financially poorer than our "poor") have more living space
than
people ("average" people) who live in certain major and very expensive European
cities. That statement is meaningless given that the European cities are very
expensive
and (London apart) very crowded.  (I hope that's clear.)  You've quoted data
on their possessions plus medical care that I said I found *surprising* given
a *maximum* income of $18,400/ 23,000/ 21,160.  And I do find it *surprising*
that a family
of 4 on that kind of *total* income can afford all that even given that many
goods
are cheaper in the US.

LH> Anecdotal evidence doesn't trump statistical fact.

I don't recall offering anecdotes (not that stats are not anecdotes in
aggregate...).
I've queried various of your statements *given the stats*.

LH>In my current reading about Western Europe I have encountered
LH>several authors who believe Europe is a disaster about ready to
LH>happen.  It is doomed.  We may as well give up on it.  It is well
LH>on its way toward becoming a collection of failed states with a
LH>few exceptions.  They don't know how to run their economies.
LH> They aren't managing their entitlements. They don't know how to
LH>integrate their immigrants.  They don't know how to defend
LH> themselves, and they are in serious danger of reverting to something akin
to Fascism.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

LH>I read one author who argued that America should rescue Europe once again.
I don't think so.

particularly given how late you tend to leave it....

Gary Younge says some people in the US tell him if it weren't for them, he'd be
speaking German
now. No, he says, he'd be speaking Yoruba.

Judy Evans, Cardiff