[lit-ideas] Re: [lit-id] The Poverty of Heritage

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 18:02:23 -0700

But the evidence doesn't agree with your assertions.  Statistics don't
support your prejudices.  Anecdotal evidence doesn't trump statistical fact.

However, once again we may talking nuance.  The U.S. & Western Europe have
similar systems and similar concerns.  The poor in both regions are far
better off than in third world nations despite Leftist propaganda to the
contrary - according to the evidence.  But Europe & the U.S. may have
different futures.

In my current reading about Western Europe I have encountered several
authors who believe Europe is a disaster about ready to happen.  It is
doomed.  We may as well give up on it.  It is well on its way toward
becoming a collection of failed states with a few exceptions.  They don't
know how to run their economies.  They aren't managing their entitlements.
They don't know how to integrate their immigrants.  They don't know how to
defend themselves, and they are in serious danger of reverting to something
akin to Fascism.

I read one author who argued that America should rescue Europe once again.
I don't think so.

Lawrence