[lit-ideas] Re: [lit-id] The Poverty of Heritage

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 04:45:38 +0100

Addendum.

Apparently US dwellings are massively larger than European ones.
 So -- ceteris paribus -- we could expect the "average poor
person"
 in the US (I think that must mean something like "modal
poor person") to have more living space than the average
European city dweller.

Heritage Report>Of course, the living conditions of the average
poor
>American should not be taken as representing all the poor. There
is
>actually a wide range in living conditions among the poor. For
>example, over a quarter of poor households have cell phones and
>telephone answering machines, but, at the other extreme,
approximately
>one-tenth have no phone at all. While the majority of poor
households