[lit-ideas] Re: [lit-id] The Poverty of Heritage

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 20:00:10 -0700

Note footnote 11 of the Heritage report:  "See Katha Pollitt, "Poverty:
Fudging the Numbers," The Nation, November 2, 1998. Pollitt argues that it
is misleading to compare the living space of poor Americans nationwide to
that of average citizens in major cities in other nations, since European
cities, in particular, have small housing units that are not representative
of their entire nations. However, the author of the United Nations Housing
Indicators report asserts that, in most cases, the average housing size in
major cities can be taken as roughly representative of the nation as a
whole. A comparison of the data in Table 4 and Appendix Table A would appear
to confirm this."

" Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"     --   That's what Bruce Bawer said you guys were
doing.  I believe it.

Lawrence

  _____