[lit-ideas] [lit-id] American Poverty again

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 18:36:51 -0700

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-na-disability21aug21,0,4635891.story?coll=la-util-nationworld-nation

(LA Times article, requires free registration)

The LA Times is running a series about what "entitlements" actually are and
are perceived to be, in the context of an ongoing, informative series about
just why so many Americans feel economically insecure, despite all kinds of
good news about the economy.

Here, I've been focusing on serious bad stuff among certain identified poor
populations, and the reasons for that poverty. This article reverts to
arguments I've since abandoned, frankly--the realities of not collecting on
health insurance when people get ill, for instance. High medical bills and
zap--there goes the family farm, literally. Yet these pieces make the point
that Americans have more "entitlements" than welfare going for them.

Personally, I believe that a lot of grief (economic and otherwise) would be
lessened by instituting universal healthcare--including care for mental
conditions. Can't work if you're sick, and other downward spirals.
later,
Carol