[lit-ideas] Re: hutus hate tutsis

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 01:07:46 -0000

> Here's the abstract of a scholarly paper on the subject....
>Abandon Israel or
> die... or just plain die. No news is no news.

Did you read the paper, Eric? (I know you quoted the Abstract
plus a number of
other paragraphs from it.) Its *subject* is (I quote from the
Abstract)

"the relative contributions of macro-level socioeconomic and
political influences, individual-level demographic factors, and
TV news use to anti-American attitudes"

Then, the first part of the paper proper gives the views/findings
of various other researchers as to attitudes to the US in Muslim
countries.   As the Abstract says, they disagree on its sources;
in that part of the paper, it's clear that "sources" does not
include US foreign policy, and a fortiori, the US's attitude to
Israel, at all; in the next paragraph, though, studies are cited
that do single out US foreign policy -- Israel is not mentioned.
As we wend our way through the paper, beyond the part you quoted,
we find a Pew study cited that says, this paper's authors say,
that

"...strong antipathy towards the US primarily stemmed from US
support for Israel, the widespread belief that the US ignores the
interests of Muslim countries in deciding its international
policies, the perception that US policies serve to increase the
formidable gapbetween rich and poor countries, and the view that
the US does too little to solve the world's problems (Kohut
2003a).  The recent Iraqi occupation has added a new reason for
disliking the United States while further strengthening these
pre-existing perceptions. (Kohut 2003b)... ".

My claim is not that US policies towards and views of Israel
don't play a major and perhaps defining role, it is that your
summarising the paper's message as

>Abandon Israel or
> die... or just plain die

is just bizarre.

(The paper looks interesting, I'll return to it.)

Judy Evans, Cardiff

-