[lit-ideas] Re: health care

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:58:04 -0500

>So it sounds a bit like the difference between the federal gov't employees
>here (at least the plan my siblings are on) and the rest of  us?    And, are
>the lines/waiting lists long?

A few months ago I split my hand open and, in my estimation, required
stitches -- on a Sunday afternoon. Since the doctor's offices are not open,
I had to go to emergency. I waited SIX hours and there were only 3 people
in front of me. By the time I got to see the doctor, it was too late to put
stitches in because the wound had started to heal. SO.... now I have a scar
that I wouldn't have and I wasted six hours and hundreds of dollars of the
taxpayers money to get an x-ray and a bandaid [literally].

>(that's the  rumour here--that the last plan to imitate would be
>Canada's...and if private  industry employees are not covered,
>then I don't know if it would be any better.  What about children, though?
>Are the kids of the private business employees covered?

Only if the employee has coverage. I don't have coverage, therefore, my
kids, had I any,would not be covered either.

Now, I'm not completely disrespecting the Canadian Health Care system. 15
years ago, I had a life-saving heart operation that, had I lived in the
united states, I would probably be paying for, for the rest of my life.
However, like I said, it works well if you are really sick, but not if you
just need maintenance.

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada