[lit-ideas] Re: health care

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:17:12 +0000

Thursday, November 25, 2004, 5:47:28 PM, Paul Stone wrote:

PS> At 12:27 PM 11/25/2004, you wrote:
>>Paul Stone:
>>
>>"If you are just sick, forget it. It's less of a problem to stay and
>>home and tough it out for a few days."
>>
>>And that is a bad thing?

PS> It depends on whether you HAVE to go to work or school and might infect
PS> others.

agreed -- our doctors would agree

PS> In general, I think that you SHOULD tough it out, but some illnesses can
PS> masquerade as the flu. A friend lost his sister to meningitis because, due
PS> to the situation at the doctors and hospitals, a really bad headache and
PS> projectile vomitting (I.e. bad case of the flu) was ignored and she died.

That's bad medicine (clinical negligence), it could though happen anywhere.
(I'm afraid I'm not surprised a bad headache was ignored, I am *very* surprised
projectile vomiting was.)

-- I agree with you re toughing it out; here we can ring NHS Direct, who will
give an opinion the doctors will have to take into account; but also my local A
and E is very good.

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx