[lit-ideas] Re: gmail

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 00:21:04 +0900

On 5/11/07, Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

AND... the email thing doesn't work on my office computer either.

Paul,

I'm sorry, I haven't been following this thread as closely as I might have.
Both my wife and I have multiple email addresses. In my case I have three:

mccreery@xxxxxxx -->my original address at my ISP
jlm@xxxxxxxxxxxx --> my work email at our company, and
john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx -->my gmail address

We both have email that arrives at our other addresses automatically
forwarded to our gmail accounts. As a result, the mail in question is for
both of us both accessible and locally storable via our email programs
(currently Apple Mail for both of us, since we are a totally Macintosh
family) and accessible and remotely stored via gmail.

Ruth prefers Mail folders as a the way to keep her mail organized and uses
gmail primarily as a giant back-up server where, if need be, she can quickly
find what she needs by using tags and keyword searches. I like gmail, use it
all the time, and let Mail just go on doing its thing providing local backup
for my mail on my office Mac. I spend a bit of time every other day or so
clearing out what I don't need to keep from Mail, primarily because when I
do that it also automatically deletes the mail from my ISP's server, which
gets unhappy if I overrun my storage allotment.

I suppose the point of all this is that far from feeling compelled to choose
one mail solution, we use a combination that gives us everything we want,
local and online access and storage. Ruth feels more comfortable with her
Mail folders. I like the fact that gmail labels allow me to apply more than
one label to the same message. Both of us can do either or both.

John

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN