[lit-ideas] Re: gmail

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 15:12:21 -0500

I'm laughing, Phil -- you beat me to the punch.  I was just replying to
Paul's e-mail with the suggestion of Labels, and an inquiry re. what his
other e-mail client is!  Depending on the primary e-mail client, composing &
reading off-line can be fairly simple (Outlook isn't the only one with that
capability).  I, too, am puzzled by the ad issue -- I don't get ....any of
that.  As a matter of fact, Mozilla blocks pop-ups for me.  Paul, are you
using g-mail by going through Internet Explorer, Netscape, etc?

On 5/10/07, Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Paul Stone wrote:

"I cannot, as far as I know, create a mailbox/area/folder on their server
so
I can sort all my mail from on person into that mailbox. Right now, I have
about 2000 emails all jumbled together in my 'inbox'. It's a mess."

Use the 'Label' option to sort emails.  With this, you can view all emails
with a particular label.  Also, a single email can have multiple labels.
Further, using the 'Archive' function, you can remove emails from 'Inbox'
while keeping them available for searches and labels.

Paul continues:

"Well, mine doesn't do [spell check]."

When I open a window to compose a new email, on the top right hand corner
of
the text window is the option to check spelling.

Paul again:

"the tremendous waste of screen space from browser crap, ads, news gmail
front end etc."

Very curious.  I have no 'browser crap' or ads.  I wonder if you are using
different version of gmail?

The more I use gmail, the more I like it.  However, as you noted, there
are
those odd times when one doesn't have access to the internet but still
want
access to emails.  It is possible to access gmail with an email client
like
Outlook.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns