[lit-ideas] Re: global luke-warming

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:57:14 -0400

Lawrence: ...has everyone noticed that Brazil will become energy independent this year? They have kicked their oil addiction and have substituted ethanol...

My Brazilian friends tell me that the Brazilians have had a robust ethanol program since the 1980s. But they are not yet energy independent. They have a tremendous amount of hydroelectric power and also lack the house heating systems of North America. Most vehicles are diesel. That makes energy independence easier.

However, one unintended consequence of their ethanol program is something they call, "vinhoto." Vinhoto (vin-yo-to) is a highly toxic consequence of making ethanol from sugar cane.

[ http://www.rossetti.eti.br/dicuser/detalhe.asp?vini=22&vfim=22&vcodigo=673
VINHOTO : cada litro de álcool obtido na destilação produz cerca de 12 litros de resíduos da substância não fermentada, os quais recebem o nome de VINHOTO.]

Making 1 liter of ethanol produces 12 liters of this highly toxic waste, which kills fish, consumes all the oxygen in bodies of water, causes eutrophication of lakes. They have attempted to make fertilizer out of the waste but that involves fractionating, which leaves an even more toxic concentrated residue...in short, it is what my friends call, "a permanent major mess."