[lit-ideas] Re: fiction or non

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:33:21 -0500

I have not read the book and probably won't.  I've done mountains of
psychologically-oriented reading/study/experience, whatever, so I kind of
burned out of that.  But, I want to say that I think it's very possible for
someone astute enough to be able to write about the inner life of others.
Shakespeare did it.  Good actors do it all the time.  They study their subjects
and the best ones actually become their subjects.  In the book/movie Sybil,
Sybil's doctor recognizes Sybil as being a multiple personality and goes with
it.  This guy has to have an incredible amount of not only empathy but of
actually identifying with and entering into someone else's world, and then
being able to write about it.  Maybe that distinguishes contemporary literature
from earlier literature.  In Middlemarch (the BBC production) there are all
sorts of real-life emotional entanglements and enmeshments and motivations.
Today they go one step further and actually feel the feelings and think the thou
 ghts of someone else.  Maybe James Joyce started it with stream of
consciousness.   He entered Molly's mind among all the others.  He becomes
Bloom and Steven and the others.

You wrote:
"fractured thoughts of a bitter, angry, addicted, addled, sensitive,
intelligent man (yes, Andy there are some of us)"

I never doubted it for a minute.  I think an argument could be made that
addicts might be the most sensitive people.  Being sensitive needs to be
blunted sometimes.  Too bad addictions are so damaging.  Another of God's
little jokes.  We need a daily flip calendar for each of God's little jokes.

And now, it's Friday!  Fridays are always my busiest days.  See ya.