[lit-ideas] Re: fiction or non

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 04:31:47 EST

Cyber-space meets the Twilight Zone.....

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: fiction or non
Date: 1/12/06 11:01:55 PM Central Standard Time  From: _aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's so interesting, Paul just said the same  thing.  I'm clueless.  I'm
not seeing anything like that.  Am  I that obtuse or is male/female just not
that noticeable?  I'm also  having a hard time picking up the tone of this
post.  Curmudgeonly is  not a problem if that's what it is.  Been there done
that lots of times  myself.

> In what way was Andy  'off'?

The word "off" is Paul's word.  And I think it was a fair  description.
There were a lot of things that Andy didn't know.  For  example, in the very
beginning, Judy asked Andy about Man Union.  Andy  was clueless.  Later I
asked my husband if he ever heard of Man Union  and he yeah, of course, the
Manchester Union, the English ...  Sports  analogies were a problem.  Stuff
like that.  I do know that no self  respecting American man will ever go
without a tee shirt under a shirt (in  fact that's one of the things air
marshals look for to distinguish  non-American men) but nobody ever asked me
about tee shirts underneath  shirts.  Durn.

> He was curmudgeonly and opinionated  and he seemed to have a lot of time
> on his hands.

Well,  that's because he was curmudgeonly.  Always civilized though, and  not
that much time.  It doesn't take long to answer a post.

> Sounds like a lot of men I know...
>
> And do tell  us (me) what working at being 'masculine' feels like.

See  above.

Did
> you have to wear a hard hat? Did you have  to wear blinders (might
> explain some of Andy's attitudes...)? Just  kidding, guys...(yeah right).

Actually, Andy's opinions were all  based in fact.  There were no opinions
that were just opinions.   All the politics, the economics, the history.
None of that was  opinions.  It was all facts.  The religion, yes, that was
opinion,  but more like point of view.

> On a slightly (very  slightly) more serious note, isn't it odd that it's
> acceptable for  little girls to be tomboys but utterly unacceptable for
> little boys to  play at being girls.

Oh, definitely.  That's why I don't expect  any takers for guys to try being
girls.  Girls are guys half the time  anyway, the clothes, the careers.
Househusbands are still pretty much an  oddity.

Who makes these things up, anyway?

I guess all the  non-feminists in the world.  If the world were run by
feminists, guys  would wear/do what they want and so would girls.

> Ursula (feeling  curmudgeonly herself)

Hope you're feeling better.