[lit-ideas] Re: fahreheit

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Paul Stone wrote:

> At 12:28 PM 6/29/2004, you wrote:
> >Some scenes are difficult enough for adults. I wouldn't bring a 12 yr. old
> >to that movie.
>
> Besides, shouldn't politics be sort of like religion -- you should save
> exposure and wait until the child is old enough to think for himself?

snip

I'm wondering whether Paul is suggesting, pace the Old Order Amish and
Fundamentalist religious  groups, that the inculcation of liberal virtues
of rational autonomy deliberation and choice is not itself a form of
indoctrination that violates both the establishment clause and guarantees
of freedom of religious expression?

Cheers, Walter
Memorial U

Philosophy Teacher: "I assure you Ms. Mozert, I am doing my best to get
Johnnie to learn how to think for himself."

Johnnie's Mother: "Never mind the thinking for himself nonsense! Just get
him to think like everyone else!!"