[lit-ideas] Re: enviornoment

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 08:55:37 -0500

Gee, tanks.

Workaholics don't love their jobs. They get off on working a
> lot. It's not the job. It's the process, the quest for money for the sake
> of itself, the responsibility, having other people say things like "I
don't
> know how you do it" or "she works really hard".  Alcoholics don't LIKE
the
> drink, they like the process. Shop-aholics don't need what they are
buying,
> they love buying things -- ANYthing.

Maybe we can call it workafeelbetter, shopafeelbetter.  I'm not sure that
alcoholics don't like the drink, though, not that I speak from experience.
They might not like being an alcoholafeelbetter but I have a hard time
believing they don't like alcohol

> >  Unfortunately, workaholics sometimes use work as a drug, to numb
emotions.

> Sometimes? You lack of clinical precision is stultifying. Come on Irene,
> you should be more encompassing than 'sometimes'. You are the queen of
> blanket statements.

Eiderdown blanket statements, let?s have some precision here.

>You can't have it both ways -- all 'aholics' are
> disease-ridden donchaknow!
>
> And... WHILE we're at it, I'd like to make a global correction that if
> someone who reputedly abuses alcohol is an alcoholic, then we should not
be
> using the suffix "aholic", we should use the more correct 'ic". So it
would
> be a "workic", "shopic" etc. Hell, if we are going to use "aholic" it
> should be "oholic" anyway.
>
> >That's sad, not to mention that the kids suffer from an absentee parent.
>
> Those poor little children.

Smack 'em.  All that whining can make anybody crazy.

> >I've known more of them than the genuinely joyful type
>
> That's because NO ONE loves their job.
>
> >  (I only knew one joyful type and she wasn't married; she also used
> > alcohol so maybe it wasn't so joyful).
>
> What do you mean by 'used' alcohol? Is 'using' alcohol a symptom of one
of
> your textbook deep, dark, unconsicous problems?

Well, actually, I meant she couldn't grow a plant to save her life.  She
once took a plant from the office home, a robust, bushy, beautiful thing.
Two weeks later she brought it back.  It looked like a featherless rubber
chicken.  No blue robes though.  Except in the lab.  But you don't want to
know about that.

With brain in vat of denatured alcohol, or simply with brain in vat,
Igor