[lit-ideas] Re: education

  • From: Ursula Stange <ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 08:23:30 -0500

We want one class of persons to have a liberal education, and we want another
class of persons, a very much larger class of necessity in every society, to
forgo the privilege of a liberal education and fit themselves to perform
specific difficult manual tasks.”
― Woodrow Wilson

It seemed, when I was growing up in the sixties that this did not need to be
the case.  Possibility was alive in the land.   This piece by Bill Moyers
explains why and how and by whom that shining moment was killed:

http://www.truth-out.org/how-did-happen/1320278111

Ursula Stange
who still remembers President Kennedy calling the steel executives into his
office...

Sent from my kitchen...