[lit-ideas] Re: curious phenomenon

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 13:05:18 EST

I've never heard "shin" used as a verb -- only a noun indicating a place
between the leg and the foot (sorta -- you know what I mean).  I've always
heard
"shinny" as a verb -- e.g. "Those children shinnied up that tree faster  than
I could catch them."  Regional differences, I'm guessing.

Julie Krueger
Midwest under (still) 17" of snow, compacted ice, and 7 degrees.  Oh,  did I
mention the flu fire that made my primary source of heat unusable for  now?
And the city I live in which has doubled in size in the last decade  still has
the same number of snowplows it did in 1995.  The weatherman is  using words
like "thunderstorm" and "arctic air mass".  It was 65 degrees  the day before
the storm.  ish.....

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: curious phenomenon
 Date: 12/7/2006 11:34:41 A.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
David Ritchie wrote:

"I also learned that  "shinny," in southern U.S. usage, refers to moonshine,
illegal liquor  ..."

Where I grew up, 'shinny' was hockey played with skates, but  without full
equipment, usually on a pond or  lake.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Glen Haven,  NS