[lit-ideas] Re: comments the DEMs must defend

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 20:29:36 -0000

I was careful in writing about what Europeans thinks to point the finger not at America or Americans but at a 'war-mongering US Government' I would have hoped you'd have picked up on that - you even included it in your quote. No doubt many Europeans think of Americans as slightly egocentric, show offs and alike, but for the most part they're sensible enough to see the difference between a government and its people. 'Look Eric,' they'd say, 'you stuffed up, you voted in the wrong guy and wrong administration. We don't like your government one jot, so just make sure you don't make the same mistake next time. Until then, count us out, we won't partake.'

I point you towards Afghanistan in which NATO countries are still battling away against the Taliban. Recognising that America was attacked on 9/11, and recognising also that the Taliban was at least partly responsible, Europe said, yes, count us in, we'll fight along side you. And they still are. Nato troops are still dying in Afghanistan Eric, or had you forgotten. But when it came to Iraq, Europe said, 'hey hold on a moment, this isn't what we signed on for. Take the Brits by all means, but leave us out. It looks to us like you're invading for economic reasons it looks like you want a piece of the oil revenues, it looks like you're empire building and we want no part of it.'

Yet now the US is in trouble in Iraq. Are you asking for help?

Rather than implying that Europe is fearful of American opinion, I wrote about the lessons Europe has learned from a fair few centuries of self-destructive wars. In an effort to stop such activity they have entered into an all inclusive economic and political union that is meshing the states together rather than pushing them apart. It's a very federal, republican enterprise that you'd have thought America would have approved of. The aim is not to create an overriding European identity, but to celebrate cultural differences under one central government (at least that's my understanding).

Of course it's going to take a bit of time, but it's a worthwhile enterprise. It's mature response to sorting out the problems of past generations. Very much like the US, I'd say it's a product of the Enlightenment.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>