[lit-ideas] asymetrical warfare

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 08:23:42 EDT

_http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/04/09/iraq.guerrilla.ap/index.html_
(http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/04/09/iraq.guerrilla.ap/index.html)
RAMADI, Iraq (AP) -- On an eerie,  battle-scarred street in this blown-out
urban war zone, a mannequin with  painted black hair stares silently at U.S.
Marines hunkered down in  sandbagged observation posts atop buildings a few
blocks away.
It's the latest insurgent ruse in an evolving war pitting the world's  most
powerful military against guerrilla fighters using their most  effective
weapon: ingenuity.
Insurgents in Ramadi recently have flown kites over U.S. troops to  align
mortar-fire, released pigeons to give away U.S. troop movements and  staged
attacks at fake funeral processions complete with rocket-stuffed  coffins, U.S.
forces deployed here say.
"They're crafty, I'll give 'em that," said Marine Cpl. John Strobridge,  20,
of Orlando, Florida, as his Humvee passed the mannequin along one of  the most
bomb-infested roads in town, a street Americans call Route  Michigan.
"Gun it! Gun it!" he shouted to his driver as the vehicle crossed a
frequently targeted intersection.
The mannequin first popped up a few weeks ago in the courtyard of a
secondary school near a collapsed building. The simple figure appears to  be
made of
wood, with a white shirt and blue plants painted on. Two white  arms hang down,
carrying a briefcase.
"We kind of laugh at it. We don't know why they do it," Strobridge  said.
"But I think the idea is, we get used to looking at the mannequin,  and then
one
day there's a real person standing there" -- with an AK-47 or  a rocket
launcher.
Marines said there's no point stopping to take it down. The road is too
dangerous, and such bizarre sites often are booby-trapped. At the bottom  of a
light pole beside another mannequin elsewhere in the city, the sleeve  of an
American MRE military ration package was found concealing a  bomb.
Dummies that explode
A Marine intelligence officer, who declined to be identified because he  is
not authorized to speak to the media, said insurgents had placed other
booby-trapped mannequins on roadsides, hoping U.S. forces would believe  they
were
corpses and stop to check on them. He said they had used the  same trick with
real corpses.
In recent weeks, Marines found a human leg in the road with a
pressure-switch bomb set to go off when it was picked up.
"The enemy will always try different things to try to get us to bite  on.
They're very smart," Capt. Andrew Del Gaudio, 30, commander of Kilo  Company,
3rd
Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, said during an interview at  Government
Center, a sandbagged fortress topped with camouflage netting  that serves as
headquarters to the provincial government.
"They sit there and watch us, observe us for weeks at a time, see how  we
operate and how we react to things," said Del Gaudio, of Mount Laurel,  New
Jersey. "Then they try to place obstacles in our path."
The U.S. military conducts a huge array of counterinsurgency tactics,  both
offensive and defensive, but most of them are classified.
Marines stationed at Government Center, which came under a two-hour
sustained attack Saturday by dozens of gunmen, say insurgents regularly  creep
through
the abandoned, shot-up buildings surrounding it, storing  ammunition in empty
houses and firing rockets, mortars and automatic  weapons.
Sometimes insurgents will shine flashlights at U.S. guard posts, trying  to
blind Marines' night-vision goggles. Guerrillas have been seen crawling  slowly
on their bellies, trying to lay bombs.
Insurgent snipers -- hiding in tall buildings -- are a constant threat.  One
was spotted -- and subsequently fired upon -- observing a U.S.  position with
binoculars through a hole left in a wall where a single  brick had been
removed from under a window.
Bombs hidden in trash
The most dangerous threat, however, remains roadside bombs -- hidden in
trash, potholes, piles of dirt or dead animal carcasses.
U.S. forces regularly sweep the roads for bombs, and insurgents  sometimes
try to remove them, then replace them. Another tactic: dropping  a harmless
piece of trash by the roadside one day, planting explosives in  it the next,
then
arming it later and triggering it from blocks away with  a cordless telephone.
Marine and Army officials said guerrilla fighters also fly kites that  signal
to other fighters where U.S. soldiers are, to help them direct  their fire,
and Del Gaudio said insurgents have released flocks of pigeons  into the air as
an American or Iraqi patrol goes by so that other fighters  know where U.S.
forces are.
Carlos Goetz, 29, of Miami, Florida, said insurgents also have used  mosque
loudspeakers to signal impending attacks.
"They'll call for blood drives in the hospital or say there's gonna be  a
funeral procession, and seven out of 10 times that's code for an  attack,"
Goetz
said.
That apparently bore true one day last week, when an assault on  Government
Center -- two mortars and some small arms fire -- was preceded  by a funeral
announcement broadcast from minarets.
Goetz said insurgents in Ramadi have held funeral processions carrying  a
coffin through the streets. They set the coffin down behind a wall,  whipped
out
assault rifles and rocket-launchers and began attacking U.S.  positions, Goetz
said.
"Firepower-wise they're no match for us, but that's the nature and  beauty of
an insurgency -- they capitalize on their strengths to hit our  weaknesses,"
Del Gaudio said.
Insurgents in Ramadi have destroyed the city's cell phone towers and  land
lines, cutting off a key avenue for locals to tip off U.S. and Iraqi  forces of
guerrilla activities. People sympathetic to U.S. or Iraqi troops  are
especially targeted by insurgents, who have issued warnings with black  spray
paint on
villa walls calling for collaborators to be killed.
Del Gaudio said he'd come under fire by a dozen insurgents who were  holding
children and firing at U.S. forces -- knowing Marines would not  return fire.
Goetz said a 12- or 13-year-old had been spotted Saturday  planting a roadside
bomb.
"They fight us hard, they are a determined enemy," Del Gaudio said.  "But
there is no morality there. They hide among the population, among  families,
women and children. That's how they fight. That's how they do  what they do."

Copyright 2006 The _Associated Press_
(http://www.cnn.com/interactive_legal.html#AP) . All rights reserved.This
material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten, or  redistributed.