[lit-ideas] Re: archives?

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 09:19:51 -0800

On Mar 5, 2009, at 8:06 AM, carol kirschenbaum wrote:

Julie,
A propos lit-id being archived, a related thought: Google your own name. It's likely that your posts to lit-id will pop up (that's the old sense of the term, not as in advertisement!). I found that revelation--though commonsensical, in retrospect--quite chilling. There's a difference, I feel, between promiscuosly and so easily googling up our posts and searching them out on a server. Most people do the former, few the latter. Anyway, I clammed up more.

Rather than deprive us of your contributions, perhaps the answer might be to change your lit-ideas name just a little? We would still know who you were, but you could then hide in plain sight. I'll explain. When I type my name into google I get bored with the screens and give up before anything to do with me makes an appearance. This is partly thanks to Guy Ritchie and Madonna naming one of their kids David Ritchie, but it's also because there are lots of more notable David Ritchies out in the wide world.

"Carol K." seems to achieve this for you, ceding the first screen at least to an emerging South Australian artist, who goes around "capturing scenery," [free the scenery, please], Carol K. Hall's thermodynamics research group, Carol K. who is having a love affair with jewelry, Carol K. Mack who teaches fiction writing and a New Mexican sculptor, Carol K. England, whose webpage seems to be confused with one which offers advice on how to travel to England.

A whole shoal of K-red herrings in which to hide.

Dvd Rtche,
(really not the famous one)
Prtlnd, Oregon