[lit-ideas] Re: a tricky quote to pin down

  • From: Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Paul)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 04 Jun 2004 13:20:02 PDT

I wrote, just a moment ago:

>Can't find this phrase in the works of WS anywhere. Am off to renew my passport
and then to the Bodleian.<

And that was true; however:

That doth not smack of observation;
        And so am I, whether I smack or no;
        And not alone in habit and device,
        Exterior form, outward accoutrement,
        But from the inward motion to deliver
        Sweet, sweet, sweet poison for the age's tooth:
        Which, *though I will not practise to deceive*,
        Yet, to avoid deceit, I mean to learn;
        For it shall strew the footsteps of my rising.

[King John I, i]

Practise makes perfect.

Robert Paul