[lit-ideas] Re: a question about Dylan

My wife watched the 60 Minutes program hoping to learn something about
Dylan, but she was disappointed.  She had me watch it.  Most of the
questions weren't very interesting, and Dylan's answers were interesting
only as performances.  He was self-depreciating and claims not to value his
fame, but it is difficult to believe that he doesn't value the adulation
that he spent so much of his life seeking.  He said he wasn't the Protest
Leader his fans made him out to be.  He was neither a poet nor a
philosopher, merely a song and dance man.

He seemed honest, but in his book he admits lying to reporters.  He said he
feels an obligation to be honest to God and to himself, but lying to
reporters is of no consequence.

Before I watched the 60-Minutes interview, I watched Masked and Anonymous.
Dylan not only played Jake Fate in that movie, he helped write it.  Jeff
Bridges, as Tom Friend, may represent Dylan's view of reporters.  This isn't
the sort of movie you can understand from watching it just once.  The movie
came out in 2003 & the critics, probably willing to watch it only once,
panned it.

Dylan singing Dixie was interesting.

Lawrence Helm

San Jacinto