[lit-ideas] a personal plea (to atty types, mostly)

Three weeks ago I had a bad car wreck.  I was driving in the left hand  lane
of a two-lane semi-highway, driving 50 in a 55 mph zone.  I came over  a small
hill and suddenly in front  of me were three large rolls of carpet  -- the
log sized rolls that you see standing against the walls in  showrooms.  They
were absolutely smack dab in the middle of the lane, all  lying at angles,
kitty-corner.  There was heavy fast-moving traffic in the  lane to my right.
There
was no room between the rolls of carpet and the  concrete median on my left.
You know how in an accident on one level it  seems to be in slow mo and on
another it happens in a split second.   Somewhere in my mind I was thinking
whether it would be more dangerous to plow  into the first roll of carpet or
swerve
around and risk side-swiping cars in the  right lane (the police later told
me if I had chosen to run into the carpets, my  daughter & I would likely have
been thrown through the windshield).  I  slammed on the brakes and chose the
swerve option.  Managed to squeak  around the first two rolls but caught a
corner of the third roll with my tire,  propelling me into a concrete median,
which caused the car to skid along at a  nice clip on its left (driver's) side
for
a while, before turning onto its roof  and skidding some more.  When it came
to a stop, I was unconscious and  hauled into an ambulance with 4 broken ribs,
torn neck ligaments, a gash that  needed sutures, a totaled car, and no idea
where my 13 yr. old daughter who had  been in the passenger seat was.  When
they pulled me out of the car I saw  her -- she had broken her window out with
the heels of her hands, remembering  someone telling her they were the
strongest part of her hands, and crawled out,  causing shards of glass to be
embedded
in her hands, knees, and feet.  By  the way, for what I believe is the first
time since she outgrew an infant seat,  she had by fluke forgotten to put her
seatbelt on.  It's a total  instinctive reflex in my kids after their early
years of training.  The  police & paramedic on site looking at the car said if
she had her seatbelt  on, the caving in of the roof of the car would have
crushed her head into her  neck and broken her neck and she most likely would
not be
alive.

Now to my question.  Local lawyers have been of no assistance.   The police
here are ....  well, never mind the adjectives.  The police  report should be
released in a couple days.  They threw the carpet away,  apparently didn't
check for tags.  The driver who lost those rolls in the  highway was either the
most oblivious person on the planet or totally  negligent.  There must be some
way of finding out who was transporting  carpet on that part of that road on
that date at that time.  But I don't  know how.   Anyone???  Someone didn't get
carpet they were  expecting ....either at a retail store, or outlet, or a home
or  office...   Yes, we had full coverage on the car, including uninsured
motorist and hospitalization, but it still won't cover the med bills, and I've
been seriously disabled for 3 weeks.  I'd sure like to hold someone
responsible.

Julie Krueger
thoroughly frustrated by meds, pain, hospital bills, & lack of
transportation (insurance co's aren't exactly  expedicious).