[lit-ideas] Re: a little more on books

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 12:17:34 -0500

I consider myself as much of a iconoclastic curmudgeon as Paul Stoneheart and I love nothing better than pissing people off by scoffing at their sacred cows, however I must take issue with Paul on the matter of what's-his-name not having told the kids of his impending-death notice until it was no longer feasible to hide the fact. I believe that I would keep such information as secret as I could just because I wouldn't want to be wrapped up in the Cling Wrap of pity and stored safely away from the give and take of relationships. Love wounds both lover and loved. Let me go out with my loved ones still loving me enough to get pissed off at me and feeling free to call me a jerk and a shithead and not take up tip-toeing around me emotionally. I'm sure I'd want my last months, weeks, days to be as natural as possible. But once you've announced that you'll be dead in 4800 hours, the whole world changes on you. It's like winning the lottery -- even your wife starts claiming she's your friend.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Stone" <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>