[lit-ideas] You People Are Crazy [was: Tune and Turn Off - Panic Attacks]

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 18:40:32 -0500

Donal wonders how it can be that the etiology of panic attacks seems at once physiological and cognitive -- as if the wave properties and particle properties of energy weren't staring him in the face every instant of his being. Get used to it, fella, life is a chimera. For my part as a chemicalist, I wonder how placebos work to cure some people. Psychosomatic magic? Or maybe we should all be studying Mary Baker Eddy.

Carol K wrote: "It's true that cognitive-behavioral therapies (CBT or "brief therapy" here) has [been] shown more effective in quelling panic attacks than previous exposure techniques popularized in the 1980s."

I don't doubt that cognitive therapies work in some cases just as placebos work in some cases, but I do have serious reservations accepting the theory that "inappropriate behaviors" (as a psychological judgment) might be rooted in dissonant cognitive processes. Beliefs (i.e., most thoughts) do affect the hormonal output of our bodies (no, I don't have any sources to support me in this, just accept it as true, for christsake). Cognitive therapies, as with placebos -- which are essentially a faith-based cognitive therapy (provided the taker believes the placebo isn't a placebo), work by changing the brain chemistry, etc., etc. (yes, I know I'm cheating here, so sue me. I'm right, irregardless.). I remember a theory of Behavior Adjustment from back in my teaching days that was based on the theory of "do anything". Any attention given to a person will affect that person's behavior. Positive attention more often yields positive change than negative attention does. Etc., etc., etc. It's not any cognitive eureka that changes us, it's endorphins, especially dopamine (why do you think they call it dope?), that redoes us. But then I could be wrong, it's knowing nothing about any of this that makes me feel brave -- dopaminely.

A case in point: my younger brother had been diagnosed as having panic attacks for some 30 years -- eye twitch, shortness of breath, high anxiety, fatigue, insomnia, etc. But then worse came to worst and he was rushed to the hospital and they discovered that he had a congenital heart valve problem that flooded his heart with a backflow of blood, supplying him with half the blood his body needed. After 30 years of psychological care for panic attacks, it was decided that the cause of his "panic attacks" was physiological. The boy was dying, his poor body knew it and went into a panic. Ach. Such is life. But I have no religion. If cognitive therapy works, do it, if placebos work, do it, if prayers work, do it. The mind is the body and the body is the mind. Etc., etc.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carol Kirschenbaum" <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>